Puran Poli/ Bobbatlu– an Indian sweet Lentil stuffed flatbreads, generally Popular in Maharashtra and in Gujarat made during special occasions on Ganesh Chaturthi and Gudi Padwa. In Andhra, it’s a traditional flavourful sweet dish famous as Bobbatlu specially made during festival Ugadi. Puran Poli stuffed with cooked chana dal however you can use any dal available in the home with jaggery or brown sugar, cardamom powder, and chopped nuts. Rolled thin the whole wheat bread and back on the pan with a generous amount of pure ghee. Enjoy golden Puran Poli or Bobbatlu with a sufficient amount of cow ghee and share a happy moment with your friends and family members.
Wheat flour 2 cup
All-purpose flour (Maida) ½ cup
Water as per requirement (dough should be soft)
A pinch of salt to taste
For Puran or stuffing
1 cup Chana Dal/ Toor Dal
2 cup Water
½ cup Jaggery
½ spoon salt to taste
1 tbsp. Ginger powder
1 tbsp. Elaichi/ Cardamom powder
½ spoon Nutmeg/ Jaiphal powder
½ spoon Funnel powder
Ghee/ butter for roasting
How to make Puran Poli or Bobbatlu?
Making the Puran or sweet chana dal stuffing
• Soak the Chana dal or Toor dal for 30 minutes to one hour and then drain the water. In a pressure cooker add water and dal and cook for 5-6 whistles.
• Cooked about 85-90%, after that strain the dal from excess water and transfer it to the frying pan. Add ghee with all powder spices (cardamom, nutmeg, Ginger, Fennel), Jaggery, finely chopped nuts and saute continuously for a few minutes.
• Reduce the flame low to medium and stirring well till the mixture becomes dry and fine paste. Now the dal stuffing is perfectly ready, keep it aside and let it completely cool. Then make 6-8 equal portions small to medium size balls.
Making Puran Poli/ Bobbatlu Dough
• Take all-purpose flour, wheat flour, and salt to taste in a bowl and mix well using your fingertips. Add a spoonful of cow ghee, little water, and mix perfectly. Add slowly water meanwhile knead properly to make a smooth or soft dough. Then cover it and keep aside for 20-30 mins.
• After 30 mins, divide the dough into 6-8 equal portion medium to large ball, roll it 3-4 inch circle on a dusted rolling board. Place a portion of stuffing mixture ball in the center of the flatbread, join the edges together and make a round ball. Roll it thick or thin as per your choice. Do the same for remaining bobbatlu balls.
• Heat a pan or tawa. Transfer the Puran Poli to the heat tawa and cook nicely from both the sides. Apply a good amount of ghee or butter on both sides and back until the golden brown color of the bread appears. Make all the Bobbatlu in the same manner.
• Serve it with milk, ghee or yogurt.
Useful Tips to make Puran Poli/ Bobbatlu more perfectly
• Make sure dough should be soft like chapati dough for making perfect poli. To make it more crispy add some more amount of ghee while making the dough.
• In Tamil it’s known as Tamil Poli, filling of chana dal with grated coconut.
• Serve Puran Poli with meal or in thali’s, and don’t forget to apply a good amount of cow ghee on it.